Interested in caring for children? Interested in Travel? If yes, this is the program for you!
The Duties of an Au Pair in Holland:
The au pair position consists of childcare related duties, such as playing with the children, making their meals and cleaning the kitchen, cleaning up their rooms, doing their laundry, walking with them to school or activities, etc. Beside this, au pair may be asked for small housekeeping duties such as helping out with the washing, shopping, or light cleaning in the house. The working hours for an au pair are at least to 30 hours per week.
Welcome to the Netherlands
The Netherlands is a relatively small country tucked into the north-west corner between Belgium, Germany, and the North Sea. The fact that the country is so small, gives great advantages by having lots of attractions within a small area. Some interesting cities include Amsterdam (the capital and popular tourist site), Den Haag (home of Dutch government and many great parks, monuments and historic sites), Rotterdam (a modern city and busy seaport), Utrecht (a central city and old university town), and Groningen (a large northern city and lively university community).
Some Services for International Visitors
Almost all cities have a Tourist Information Office, or in Dutch, VVV. Here you can receive maps, brochures and lists of attractions, restaurants, events, and much more. If you plan to visit several museums during the year, you may consider buying a Museumjaarkaart. With this card, you can have free entrance or reduced admission to most museums. This card can be bought at most museums and at the VVV offices. Another card, the CJP (Cultureel Jongeren Paspoort), entitles you to reduced entrance fees to museums, theatres, concert halls, cinemas, and cultural events. It also offers you a discount on Compact Discs, books and magazines. At some travel agencies you can book reductions on special flights. You can use this CJP in almost every European country.
Entertainment in the Netherlands is unlimited. Films on TV are always shown in the original language and subtitled in Dutch. There are several Dutch channels and several foreign channels (BBC, Discovery Channel, CNN MTV, Euro-channel, etc.) The most popular way to enjoy yourself in the Netherlands however, is going out for dinner. You can also go to the theatre, symphony, ballet, opera, or concerts. The VVV will have updated information all about events in your area of the country. If you are more of a sport-loving type, there are many to participate in. Soccer, hockey, baseball, basketball, swimming, tennis, volleyball and you name it! At most of the sport clubs, you can join the group for one night, free of charge, so you can see if you like it. You can also go to a sports center, health club, tennis court or swimming pool without being a member of a club. You can buy a card that is valid for ten or more lessons or entrances.
Benefits to the Au Pair
- The Au Pair will be provided with free board and lodging
- Language class paid for by the host family (not applicable for summer au pairs)
- The Au Pair will be available for max. 30 hours a week, with 2 days off per week and once a month, a full weekend
- The Au Pair will receive € 300 pocket money per month for 30 hours per week
- An emergency number for the local agent is also provided upon arrival, and
- Holland office will provide the arriving au pair with a Welcome package, including a list of activities and contacts with other au pairs.
Qualifications for Au Pairs
- Be between 18 and 25 years old.
- Have practical child care experience and be able to provide written references to prove it (i.e. babysitting, childcare courses, daycare work etc.)
- Speak English
- Be a high school graduate or have an equivalent degree.
- Must agree to a one year commitment.
- Cannot have participated in an Au Pair program to the Netherlands before.
Each au pair must provide the following:
- Complete application form
- Dear host family letter (hobbies, background, education, goals in life, etc.)
- One (1) Character reference
- Two (2) Child Care references
- One (1) passport sized picture
- Medical check – request form from Scotia Personnel Ltd
- Pages with color photos (family picture, pictures of yourself with children, professional photos of yourself, etc.). A color photocopied sheet is also acceptable
- Copy of high school diploma
- Photocopy of passport, and
- Photocopy of long Birth Certificate(must contain both parents names)