Experience the historical and cultural sights of Belgium and Europe!
You’re going to have a wonderful experience as an au pair in Belgium, the center of Europe. It provides you the chance to combine your love for kids with an exciting cultural exchange and travel opportunity! You will have the opportunity to meet many people and establish life-long friendships! By living and working with a Belgium host family, you have the opportunity of learning about the unique culture, and while caring for the host children, you can gain valuable experience in the art of child care.
Belgium is at the core of the world’s biggest industrialized trading bloc, the European Union (EU), and as an autonomous country it has existed since 1830. It is a constitutional monarchy and a parliamentary democracy, and as of 21 July 2013 King Philippe I reigned as the sovereign. Belgium has approximately 11 million inhabitants and three official languages: Dutch, French and German.
Au pairs in Belgium work approximately 30 hours per week. The host family would like you to become an integral part of their family! In exchange the host family provides the following benefits:
- you get paid 450 Euros per month pocket money
- you are provided room and board
- the host family will pay for your airfare to Belgium
- the host family will provide your health insurance
- on successful completion of the program, the host family will provide you a return airfare home.
A mandatory language course in Dutch or French is a government requirement during your stay in Belgium. The host family may or may not pay for this course, but can be discussed with them prior to matching with the family.
Application Requirements – Applicants must:
- Be between 18 and 30 years old (due to government visa regulations) and be a citizen of one of the following countries: Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Korea or Taiwan
- Be able to provide childcare references
- Provide a clear criminal background check
- Possess a driver’s license
- Have a First Aid certification
- Be able to swim at an intermediate level
- Be a non-smoker
- Medical note
- Be able to ride a bike safely and proficiently
- Pay a 184 Euro fee at the Belgium Embassy/Consulate for your visa application (subject to change by Belgium government).
How to Apply
To start your adventure, please forward your resume and contact information and we will reach out to you to review the program with you in detail. We will then schedule an in-person and/or video call interview. On completion of a successful interview, you will need to provide the following documents to complete your application package:
- Completed application
- Minimum of two(2) Childcare and two(2) Character References (No references from family please)
- A friendly ‘Dear Family’ letter, giving details about yourself, your family, childcare experiences, hobbies, etc.
- A doctor’s note indicating that you are fit and well to work abroad
- Copies of your diploma (high school, college etc.) and any other training or recognition certificates
- Police check (from your local police station)
- Photos (we suggest photos of, photos of yourself with children and family, etc.). Color photocopies of photos are very acceptable.
Your chosen host family will be curious to learn to about your background and life at home. Please complete your forms as fully as possibly.